How To Wear Grunge Jeans In A Chic Way
In order to make grunge jeans look grown-up, you need to be mindful of the mix of fabrics plus the way you wear it. There are some core elements that will give any outfit an instant grunge twist.The more you use, the more grunge you will look:
1. Ripped Jeans. Think stone-washed, worn-out, distressed and dark jeans (like the one in the pictures above and below). Ripped jeans are a MUST for authentic grunge style. You could also do leggings these days, but it’s hard to imitate the worn-out look, so it won’t look as cool. Better stick with jeans.
2. Dark Colors. Grunge is all about black and grey. You can combine with other colours (even a little neon for clashing purposes), but the essential grunge look needs darkness.
3. The Print. Tartan, plaid and check are staple grunge patterns. I mean, who doesn’t remember the flannel shirt that was literally everywhere in the 90s? It’s important to wear one that is slightly baggy, stuck it into your jeans or wear it around your waist. Again, focus on a dark colour palette.
4. T-Shirts. The obvious thing is to wear a dirty looking Nirvana band shirt with your grunge jeans. However, I think it’s too much and too obvious (unless you are a REAL Nirvana fan, of course!). Instead, mix feminine lace with studs or a dark pattern on silky fabric to add a grunge edge to your outfit.
5. Layering. Some say the perfect grunge look has at least three layers from the waist up and two from the waist down. I say, at least it keeps you warm!
6. Chunky Boots. Or simply Doc Martens. Combat boots are key for any grunge look. Also, they have had their own fashion makeover and are now available in a variety of colours, making them more stylish. Even Jessica Alba wears them!
7. The Hat. A patterned baseball cap or a slouchy slogan beanie are the most characteristic, but for a more chic look: Choose a black floppy hat! It has some nice darkness appeal.
8. Heavy Jewellery. Feel free to mix & match bracelets and necklaces on top of each other. Crosses and peace signs should be somewhere in the mix. Or anything else that is chunky and mechanical looking.
As you can see, you can easily dial up and dial down the amount of grunge style in your look. Always wear something tailored and choose good fabrics to avoid a complete thrift shop vibe. Et voilà, here are your 3 Ways To Wear Grunge Jeans looks!
Did you like this style advice? Sign up here for free updates: